TAMPA – A.J. Hinch admitted that during an interview with MLB Network that aired on Friday, Astros 2017 was "wrong" to use an electronic sign stealing system.
The former Houston coach also had the opportunity to contest allegations that his team had used buzzer under uniforms last season to signal the pitches – but he has not refuted this claim.
Hinch was asked if his players were wearing buzzers and put on hold based on Major League Baseball.
"We were examined for three months," said Hinch. "The Commissioner's office did as much research as you can imagine. I know you spoke about the emails and the texts and the news, and I believe it."
MLB announced last month that it "examined portable devices during the investigation but found no evidence of them."
The footage of Jose Altuve's game-winning Homer ahead of Yankees & # 39; Aroldis Chapman in the sixth game of ALCS last year that sent the Astros to the World Series showed Altuve yelling at his teammates that he shouldn't tear his shirt off when he was finished circling the bases.
Scott Boras, the agent at Altuve, told The Post last month that his customer had "never been exposed to information about using an electronic device that was triggered during the game."
With no evidence of misconduct in 2019, MLB's investigation resulted in Hinch and former Houston General Manager Jeff Luhnow being suspended from the league for a year before being released by Astros owner Jim Crane.
In Hinch's first interview since the end of the investigation, he took responsibility for what happened under his watch in 2017.
Although Hinch said he smashed the monitors used near the shelter as part of the plan, it wasn't enough because he didn't talk to his team about the problem.
"I should have had a meeting and face it and really end it," said Hinch. “For me, leadership often means what you preach. Leadership is also about what you tolerate. I have tolerated too much. … Right is right and wrong is wrong, and we were wrong. "
Hinch added that he wanted to talk about it publicly before the spring training camps would open if his former players were asked about it. And the 45-year-old, who had brought the Astros into the World Series in two of the last three seasons, expressed a desire to make it back as soon as its suspension is over at the end of this postseason.
"In this situation, I just want to be real and reliable for Astros fans, baseball fans, fans and critics," said Hinch. "That I made a mistake. I wish I could do it again … and I will work tirelessly to restore the integrity needed in this game and the integrity that already exists in this game. "