Carlos Beltran steps down as Mets manager amidst the Astros fraud scandal

0
71

Carlos Beltran stepped down as Mets manager on Thursday, Joel Sherman of the Post confirmed.

It takes less than three months after he was appointed manager, and just a few days after MLB confirmed his involvement in the Astros fraud history as a player in 2017. The Mets had been debating Beltran's future since Monday and, according to The, had been in conflict about what to do Joel Sherman from the Post. Beltran met with Mets senior officials on Wednesday evening and around Thursday morning to find a way to save his job but were unable to find a suitable way.

42-year-old Beltran has been shaky since the league announced on Monday that he played a key role in the Astros theft scandal as a player in the 2017 championship season.

“When we met Jeff and Brodie this morning, we agreed to split up. I am grateful to them for giving me the opportunity, but we agreed that this decision was in the best interests of the team, ”Beltran said in a statement released by the team. "I couldn't let the team distract me. I wish the entire organization continued success."

Beltran was the only Astros player involved in the report, which prompted Houston to lead General Manager Jeff Luhnow and Manager A.J. Hinch.

No players were punished.

On Tuesday, Red Sox manager Alex Cora – who has not yet been punished by the league – helped bank orchestrate the scams as a bank trainer at Houston in 2017. This included a center field camera, which was used to decrypt and forward characters to Astro's thugs.

MLB found that Houston illegally stole signs in 2017, including the off-season and part of 2018.

Carlos Beltran
Carlos BeltranCharles Wenzelberg / New York Post

In November, Beltran told the post that he had illegally cheated: "I am not worried. It is not illegal to study the opposing team. We all have the same opportunity to look for information and trends."

He also said that he was not aware of it [center field] Camera."

Brodie Van Wagenen, General Manager of Mets, said earlier that he sees no reason why this is a Mets situation.

However, everything changed after the explosive results of MLB.

"This was not an easy decision," said COO Jeff Wilpon and Van Wagenen in a combined statement. "Given the circumstances, it became clear to everyone that it was not in Carlos' best interest to move forward as the manager of the New York Mets. We believe Carlos was honest and accommodating with us. We are confident that this is not the last chapter of his Baseball career. We’re excited about the talent in this team and are determined to achieve our goals now and in the future. ”

The league blocked Luhnow and Hinch one season each and Houston then released both. The franchise was also fined $ 5 million and excluded from the first and second rounds of elections for 2020 and 2021.

On Tuesday, the canned Red Sox Cora that led Boston to victory in the 2018 World Series helped to orchestrate the fraud in 2017 as the Astros bank trainer. MLB is also currently investigating the Red Sox for its possible use of electronics in 2018. and it is possible that Cora could still be suspended.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/carlos-beltran.jpg?quality=90&strip=all