Dusty Baker's message for silent Mets: "First come, first served"

0
90
<pre><pre>Dusty Baker's message for silent Mets: "First come, first served"

Dusty Baker is scheduled to meet Astros representatives on Monday about their vacancies as managers, but says he hasn't heard from the Mets or Red Sox.

"I'm busy, I haven't heard from anyone yet" Baker told television reporters in Houston on Sunday. "First come, first served and everyone wants to feel that they are wanted."

The Post reported Friday that Mets officials were discussing Baker to replace Carlos Beltran, who left the organization last week after being mentioned in an MLB report alleging the illegal theft of signs by Astros was described in 2017.

70-year-old Baker has a lawyer at Mets, Omar Minaya, who, according to an industry source, has built a close relationship over the years. Even so, Baker was not seen as a serious option in the Mets' search for Mickey Callaway in the off-season, as the team officials looked at candidates who they believed would bring a collaborative approach to the position.

Search dynamics may have changed after Beltran left. Baker, who previously interviewed for the Phillies job assigned to Joe Girardi in this offseason, has a good reputation in the game and would be a publicity asset for a Mets franchise that has suffered collateral damage from Astro's fraud scheme.

Baker has been removed from the game since leading the 2016 and ’17 Nationals to consecutive NL East titles. Buck Showalter and John Gibbons are other seasoned managers who have reportedly spoken to the Astros.

Gibbons, the former Blue Jays manager, had a phone conversation with General Manager Brodie Van Wagenen during Mets' last manager search, but was not invited to a meeting interview with the team. It is unclear whether Showalter spoke to the Mets on the last search, but he was not selected for a session interview. Showalter was a finalist for the Phillies job.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/dusty-baker-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all