The energy department is launching a comprehensive program to accelerate the development and deployment of next-generation energy storage technologies in the United States and to strengthen the nation's global leadership in space.
As part of the new Energy Storage Grand Challenge, the agency will coordinate a range of funding opportunities, pricing, partnerships, and other research and development activities to achieve a variety of energy storage goals over the next ten years. Energy also believes the program will support its ultimate vision of maintaining a secure domestic supply chain by 2030 that is independent of critical materials from foreign sources.
"Energy storage is key to harnessing the full value of our diverse energy resources," said agency secretary Dan Brouillette in a statement. "With this major challenge, we will use the department's extensive resources and expertise to address the challenges of technology development, commercialization, manufacturing, evaluation, and people, and position the United States for a global leadership position in future energy storage technologies."
The spectrum of Energy’s overarching activities is managed by the Agency’s Investment in Research and Technology Committee, which was set up in accordance with the 2018 legislation and set up in 2019 to identify and support a wide range of science and technology-oriented research and development opportunities , Due to the great challenge, the department aims to coordinate numerous funding opportunities, prizes, partnerships and other programs in order to achieve a number of strategic goals over the next decade. According to the agency, these goals include:
- Set ambitious, achievable performance goals and a comprehensive R&D portfolio to achieve them.
- Accelerate the technology pipeline from research to system design to private sector adoption through rigorous system evaluation, performance review, location tools, and targeted collaboration.
- Develop world-class models, data and analytics to identify the most effective value propositions and use cases for storage technologies.
- Design new technologies to improve manufacturing and recyclability in the United States and reduce dependence on foreign sources of critical materials.
- Train the next generation of American workers to meet the needs of the 21st century power grid and energy storage value chain.
Energy will shortly submit a request for information to gain insight into relevant topics that should be addressed as part of the challenge. Agency representatives will also host a series of workshops to remove obstacles and promote the use of various storage technologies and network applications.
“This work will affect development [of] a coordinated [research and development] Roadmap to 2030 for a wide range of storage and flexibility technologies, ”officials said.