The new release follows a previous policy calling on all social media benefactors in India to act immediately against COVID-19 misinformation.
- Last update: April 8, 2020, 3:50 am IST
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has asked social media platforms like Tiktok, Helo and Facebook to remove rogue messages, spread the misinformation, and weaken the government’s efforts to combat the corona virus. Social media companies were also asked to store details about uploaders of such malicious content, which could be shared with law enforcement agencies if needed.
“MeitY said a large number of fake / false and misinformation-based audio and video clips are being distributed on social media platforms, particularly TikTok, Helo, and Facebook. It is said that such false and misinformation-based news is Have potential to create panic and others. ” Online Damage, “a source aware of the development. The Department of Separate Communication has asked social media companies to remove the content, as this weakens the government’s efforts to combat the corona virus, and the Supreme Court also took this content seriously at a hearing on March 31, 2020.
“The ministry said the rogue messages are effectively weakening the Indian government’s extensive efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus,” said the source. MeitY’s announcement follows a report by open source IT company Voyager Infosec that publishes multiple videos on social media platforms like Tiktok, Youtube and Twitter to prevent Muslims in India from curbing corona virus safe practices Infection.
The company found that videos were filmed both in overseas locations and in India and are mainly released in the Chinese mobile video app Tiktok with fake information about coronaviruses and religious incitement to health advice. These videos continue to be shared on other platforms such as Whatsapp, Twitter and Facebook, “the report said. The report submitted to the India Cyber Crime Coordination Center claims to have analyzed over 30,000 videos within five days professional video editing software, and originally uploaded accounts are deleted after they are spread on other social media platforms.
“MeitY has asked social media platforms to work closely together to identify and remove messages, including audio and video messages, as quickly as possible. It has asked social media companies to submit daily reports on the actions they take . ” Source said. The ministry has asked social media companies to ensure that the unsolicited messages do not go viral, while at the same time storing information from anyone who creates or uploads them. The details of the content uploaders can be shared with law enforcement agencies if required.
When contacting Tiktok, the spokesman said: “We are actively working with the government to assist them in their efforts to combat misinformation and are also working proactively to disseminate credible information related to covid-19 on our platform. ” Email requests sent to Facebook did not trigger an immediate response. The industry association IAMAI, whose members include Google, Facebook, Tiktok, etc., previously stated that any request to remove content must be made through a proper legal notice.