Farah is pleased that WADA is testing its samples again

0
125
<pre><pre>Farah is pleased that WADA is testing its samples again

LONDON (Reuters) – Four-time Olympic gold medalist Mo Farah said he would like to have one of his previous blood or urine samples tested again as part of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) investigation on the Nike Oregon project.

Britain's Mo Farah during the Action Images press conference via Reuters / Matthew Childs / File Photo

WADA wants to examine all athletes who trained with the banned trainer Alberto Salazar on the Oregon project. One of them was the British Farah, who won 5,000 and 10,000 meters at both the London 2012 and Rio de Janeiro 2016 games.

"I've seen reports of my name related to UKAD (UK Anti-Doping) and WADA re-testing samples," Farah said in a post on Twitter on Tuesday.

"To be very clear, I was not asked about it and as I have said many times, I am glad that every anti-doping body can test my previous samples at any time."

Farah's comments came after UKAD was criticized for needing "credible evidence" that a sample given by a British athlete contained a banned substance before it was released in an investigation.

UKAD, which claims to have worked closely with its American counterparts, declined a request for Farah's historic samples from USADA in 2017, stating that such samples could deteriorate if retested or sent to a different location.

Salazar stopped training Farah in 2017 when the runner decided to return to England from the United States.

Farah said at the time that the doping investigation around Salazar was not the reason why they separated. He has never passed an anti-doping test and denies any wrongdoing.

Earlier this month, he said he would have been "first" if he had known Salazar would be faced with a ban on doping trafficking.

He will be active again this year to defend his 10,000m Olympic title at the Tokyo Games.

Salazar, convicted by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) for doping violations, has contested misconduct and has appealed his four-year ban to the Sports Arbitration Panel (CAS).

Reporting by Martyn Herman; Cut by Toby Davis