The Cowboys officially moved on from Jason Garrett on Sunday, The team announcedand ended a chaotic week in which the longtime head coach fought for his job while Dallas interviewed potential substitutes.
In the statement, the cowboys said they would "not seek a new contract renewal agreement" with Garrett, whose contract ends on January 14.
Dallas was expected to part with 53-year-old Garrett after the cowboys missed the playoffs despite having one of the most talented squads in the NFL.
But the last week ended without an official announcement from the Cowboys, who reportedly preferred not to fire Garrett but to let his contract expire because Jones considered this a "delicate" matter. according to Jay Glazer from Fox Sports,
Garrett has been the head coach of Dallas in over nine seasons and has never progressed beyond the division round in three playoff games. He also won two Super Bowls with the franchise as a backup quarterback in the 1990s.
"He is and remains a valued member of the Dallas Cowboys family" Jones said in a statement announcing Garrett's fate.
The Cowboys interviewed former Packers head coach Mike McCarthy this weekend and former Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis.
In the meantime, there's a chance Garrett is back in the division with the Giants, who are still looking for a new head coach to replace the recently released Pat Shurmur.