POLL RESULTS: Who will win the Oscars?
There’s only two days left until Hollywood’s biggest stars and filmmakers gather for the Oscars and ComingSoon.net asked our readers what films and performers they expected to take home the ceremony’s top prizes and with over 1000 votes for the four big categories, the results are in! Check out the winners below!
RELATED: POLL RESULTS: What is the Best Scene in Star Wars: A New Hope?
- 1917 (48%, 573 votes)
- Parasite (16%, 193 votes)
- Joker (15%, 182 votes)
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (9%, 109 votes)
- The Irishman (4%, 50 votes)
- Ford v. Ferrari (2%, 27 votes)
- Jojo Rabbit (2%, 23 votes)
- Marriage Story (2%, 18 votes)
- Little Women (1%, 13 votes)
The results show that the divide between critics and audiences may be bigger than some people realize, as many critics believe that Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman is the frontrunner for Best Picture at the ceremony, whereas our readers believe that the nail-biting 1917 should take home the top prize. Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite is second in our readers hearts, with Todd Phillips’ Joker coming in third and Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood sitting at fourth above Scorsese’s gangster epic.
- Joaquin Phoenix, Joker (86%, 979 votes)
- Adam Driver, Marriage Story (6%, 67 votes)
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (4%, 45, votes)
- Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory (3%, 30 votes)
- Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes (2%, 18 votes)
In a less surprising manner, Joaquin Phoenix’s performance as the Clown Prince of Crime is on track to score the star his first statue after four nominations.
- Renée Zellweger, Judy (53%, 571 votes)
- Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story (26%, 280 votes)
- Saoirse Ronan, Little Women (9%, 100 votes)
- Charlize Theron, Bombshell (9%, 92 votes)
- Cynthia Erivo, Harriet (4%, 39 votes)
The race for the Best Actress prize is considered one of the most heated of the night and our readers seem to agree with many critics that Renée Zellweger’s turn as the late singer and actress Judy Garland in the eponymous biopic is the one to beat.
- Sam Mendes, 1917 (50%, 576 votes)
- Bong Joon-ho, Parasite (15%, 175 votes)
- Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (15%, 166 votes)
- Todd Phillips, Joker (13%, 143 votes)
- Martin Scorsese, The Irishman (7%, 81 votes)
The Best Director competition also sees a big divide between many critics and our readers, as Scorsese has come in last with only 81 votes while Mendes leads the pack with 576 votes and Joon-ho and Tarantino fighting for that close runner-up position.
RELATED: POLL RESULTS: What’s the Most Anticipated Film of 2020?
The Best Picture and Best Director prizes are seen as two of the heavily-contested subjects this year, with the former seeing the critically-lauded Parasite, Ford v Ferrari, The Irishman, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Little Women, Marriage Story, 1917 and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Martin Scorcese is nominated for Best Director alongside Joker‘s Todd Phillips, 1917‘s Sam Mendes, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood‘s Quentin Tarantino and Parasite‘s Bong Joon-ho.
While Joaquin Phoenix is expected to take home the Best Actor statue for his titular performance in Joker, he will see some strong competition in the form of Antonio Banderas for Pain and Glory, Leonardo DiCaprio in Hollywood, Adam Driver in Story and Jonathan Pryce in The Two Popes. The Best Actress category is also home to a very heated contest between Cynthia Erivo for her titular performance in Harriet, Scarlett Johansson in Story, Saoirse Ronan in Little Women, Charlize Theron in Bombshell and frontrunner Renée Zellweger in Judy.
What do you hope to see win in the other categories? Are there any nominees you feel were snubbed? Let us know in the comments below!