Red Sox fraud probe "developments" delays decision

0
13
<pre><pre>Red Sox fraud probe "developments" delays decision

NORTH PORT, Florida – "Development" is a good word for screenplays and young athletes. Less so if it is someone who examines you. And here are the Red Sox.

Rob Manfred said on Sunday that his office's view of the allegations that Champion Sawx illegally stole in 2018 took longer than he originally expected. When the Commissioner spoke at the end of the owners' meeting on February 6, he said he hoped to complete the investigation by the opening of the camps, a period he had missed.

"There were some developments in Boston that slowed us down," said Manfred at CoolToday Park during the Grapefruit League media day. “… People who had to be interviewed again because of things. … I still think we should be ready by the end of next week and make a decision. "

That would be until February 28, Manfred clarified.

The lack of public whistleblowers or damn video footage, two components that instantly put the Astros in the hottest water in 2017, has prompted baseball folks to believe that the Red Sox punishments will never be as severe – except for a lengthy ban For former manager Alex Cora, who acted as bank coach for the Astros in 2017 and was a leader in the trash can banging program. These “developments” at least delay the implementation of such assumptions into reality.


In other matters:

Manfred said he met all Grapefruit League managers here – there were 13 on site – and discussed, among other things, the public plea by new Astros manager Dusty Baker that the league ensures that his players are not repeated by pitchers as unofficial Punishment will be drilled for their sign theft.

"I hope I made it very clear to them that retaliation in a game that was intentionally thrown at a player will not be tolerated, whether it is Houston or someone else," said Manfred. "It is dangerous and not helpful for the current situation."


Progress continues towards a rule that could go so far as to ban players and coaches from the video replay room during games.

“I assume that we will have really serious restrictions for 2020 [against] Players and player staff who have access to videos in the game, ”said Manfred.


Regarding the dramatic revision of the postseason, which Joel Sherman of The Post reported for the first time, Manfred offered: “Have we discussed extended playoffs internally? Yes we have got that. I think in an entertainment environment as competitive as the one we live in, we probably wouldn't be doing our job if we weren't at least talking about it. No decisions were made on this particular issue, but it was certainly an internal topic for discussion. "

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/alex-cora-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all