Sam Wyche, who led Cincinnati to the Super Bowl, dies at 74



After winning the A.F.C. The Bengals lost 20:16 to Walsh's 49ers in Super Bowl XXIII for the second time in their history. The 49ers sealed the win when Montana threw a 10-yard touchdown pass 34 seconds ahead of John Taylor. (The Bengals have never returned to the Super Bowl.)

Wyche, known as a fiery and stubborn trainer who is ready to go against the grain, made waves two years later for a different, more embarrassing reason. In October 1990 the N.F.L. Wyche fined a $ 27,000 record for a coach for preventing a reporter, Denise Tom of USA Today, from entering the team's locker room. He was unrepentant and said that women should not be able to enter players when they are naked.

"No fine will force me to change my belief on the matter," he told reporters. “We have to find a way for women to have decent and open access to all of these athletes. The Commissioner believes that punishing me is more important than trying to find another solution. "

Wyche had already been fined twice, once for knocking a microphone out of a reporter's hand and once for beating all reporters out of the team's locker room after a defeat. The third fine came just a few weeks after another reporter, Lisa Olson from The Boston Herald, complained about being surrounded and insulted by several naked players in the New England Patriots' locker room.

Wyche's willingness to act against the convention also extended to the field. He increased his opponents' score and once ordered an onside kick, although his team was in the lead with 45-0. He was also pronounced. He criticized fans in Cleveland for throwing debris onto the pitch and urged fans in Cincinnati to stop throwing snowballs.

After a 3:13 win in 1991, Wyche Cincinnati left for Tampa, where he coached the Buccaneers for four seasons. Although he led the Bengals on one of the franchise's most successful stretches, he only had a 61-66 record there (plus 3-2 in the playoffs) and a 23-41 record in Tampa.

He was quarterback coach for the Buffalo Bills in 2004 and 2005 and then moved to Pickens, where he volunteered as quarterback coach and offensive coordinator for the city's high school team.